City of the Month: Nashville, Tenn.
The capital of the wonderful state of Tennessee, also known as “Music City” is our city of the month! Nashville is one of those places you just have to visit. With so much history and culture, this place offers different things for all types of people.
- Music Lover
- Want to know where Willie Nelson got his first songwriting gig? Or where other famous singers got their start? Make sure you visit Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge! This is a classic lounge that provides singers and songwriters a chance to perform. If you’re feeling brave, maybe you can get on stage, too!
- If you’re in town Aug. 8, 2013 – Sept. 12, 2013, we recommend attending the concert series, Live on the Green! It’s a six-week series that takes place every Thursday night at Public Square Park. Local to national artists perform while you sit back, relax and enjoy the sound of live music.
- With this being Music City, you won’t have a shortage of places to go if you want to hear good music. We suggest starting here: http://www.visitmusiccity.com/visitors/summerinthecity_music.
- Family Fun
- We did a post about this family-friendly spot not too long ago. The Cheekwood Botanical Garden and Museum of Art offers a variety of beauties. From gardens and landscapes to artwork, there’s no shortage of things to see. In addition, on Thursday evenings in June and July they have Family Night Out! Here’s the story we did on Cheekwood: http://bloggreyhound.com/hound-gem-cheekwood-botanical-garden-and-museum-of-art/.
- Between May 11, 2013 and Sept. 2, 2013, the Adventure Science Center puts on a “Maze” exhibit. Test out your problem-solving skills and put your brain to work. With 3-D puzzles, full-body games and a collection of mazes, you may (or may not) leave calling yourself Bill Nye.
- This only scratches the surface with family fun activities. With water parks and science centers, visit the following site for must-dos in the area: http://www.visitmusiccity.com/visitors/summerinthecity_familyactivities.
- If you love breakfast foods the way I do, look no further Pancake Pantry is your must-eat breakfast spot in Nashville. My best friend decided to introduce me to this place, and with its southern hospitality and good food, I’m itching to head back.
- Plan on being in Nashville, Aug. 23, 2013 – Aug., 24, 2013? Well, you’re in luck. The Music City Festival and BBQ Championship will be taking place. Music and BBQ together in one place? What did we do to receive such a wonderful gift?
- For other yummy spots in and around Nashville, check out: http://www.visitmusiccity.com/visitors/summerinthecity_food.
- This is a two-in-one! Bring out the family, and enjoy the Nashville Shores. From a water park to staying at the campground or boating for the day, this 385-acre lakeside resort leaves little to the adventurer’s imagination. So grab your swimming gear and prepare to have a lot of fun.
- Another fun outdoor activity is visiting the Percy Warner Park. With hiking trails, horse trails, golf courses and more, you’ll be wondering why you’re not outdoors more often.
- If you’re looking for other activities outside, make sure to visit: http://www.visitmusiccity.com/visitors/summerinthecity_outdoorsactivities.