How to Travel on a Budget
You might think you don’t have enough money to travel but you don’t need a huge amount of money to make it possible. If you choose the right destination, it can be an amazing trip at any budget. Here are some ways to stretch your travel dollar and have the vacation of a lifetime, while being on a budget.
1. Book through Greyhound’s hotel option, where we provide low rates with over 1,000,000+ hotels to choose from! Click here to check it out. We also recommend Airbnb, if you prefer having more amenities than a hotel!
2. Bring food! Especially if you are staying in an Airbnb, bring snacks and quick meals that are non-perishable in your carry on (ex: pasta and rice packet, etc.) That way, you don’t have to worry about buying groceries you might have at home in your pantry. Also, use that food that you bring to make your meals wherever you stay so you don’t have to worry about eating out every night.
3. Start saving now. Make your vacation a priority! If you save a little each day before your trip, you will be able to do more than if you didn’t. Put out a glass jar in your kitchen and put however much you want per day. If that’s not your thing, download the app Digit (Available on iOS and Android). This tool analyzes your spending habits and moves money from your checking account to your Digit account. You can easily withdraw your money at any time.
4. See what’s free in the area! Always check to see what you can do that’s little to no cost. You can do this by googling, “What’s free in” whatever city you may be traveling to. Also, you can use sites like Groupon to check out activities that may be discounted in the area you will be staying in.
5. Travel off season. Not only will you save money this way, you will also avoid the crowds! For example, instead of waiting in line to enter a museum and then navigate the crowds inside, you can walk straight in and not have to worry about your personal space. Low season is usually between January, February and September through November.
6. Finally, sign up for Greyhound’s Road Rewards program. When you sign up, you get 10% off your first trip and you’ll collect points every time you travel. The more points you collect, the more rewards you’ll earn. Also, Road Reward members are among the first to know about deals and discounts.