Holiday Travel Tips
‘Tis the season of travel! Below, we’ve included tips that we hope will help as you prepare for your travel with Greyhound this holiday season.
- Schedule your trip early. The earlier you purchase your ticket, the better. Advance ticket prices are not available the day of travel, so it’s best to take advantage of the low fares when you can.
- Get a head start and print your ticket at home. Printing your ticket prior to arriving at the station will save time and prevent you from having to wait in line at Will Call. Although you print your ticket online, you still have to present a paper ticket to board the bus. Make sure to have your ID when you board the bus as well.
- Be aware that tickets are date and time specific. You must travel on the schedule that you select when purchasing your ticket, or if you wish to change schedules, you may have your ticket reissued for a $20 fee.
- Arrive at least an hour before your scheduled departure time. This ensures that you have time to properly tag and check your luggage and beat the rush during this extremely busy time of year. If our Express service is offered in your city and is traveling to your destination, definitely take advantage of this service for guaranteed seating. You can also enjoy amenities, such as free Wi-Fi, power outlets, leather seats with extra legroom, and there’s limited or no stops with Express.
- Keep essential items on the bus with you. Instead of putting important items in the luggage you check, such as medications and other things that are necessary for your daily living, keep it with you in a carry-on bag in the event that your checked luggage gets delayed. Make sure to properly tag your luggage both inside and out with accurate contact information to ensure that your bag is matched to you if delayed.
- Check for weather delays. The weather can be unpredictable during the holidays, so customers should check online or call to see if there are weather delays, prior to arriving at the station.
- Bring a small travel pillow so you can rest comfortably.
- Bring snacks and water.Whether you’re traveling 4 hours or 14 hours, you’re likely to get hungry and staying hydrated is a necessity.
- You can now use our Pay with Cash option. You can reserve your trip online, visit a participating retailer (7-Eleven or Ace Cash Express) and pay with cash to complete the transaction. This is a particularly convenient option if you don’t have a credit card.
- Make sure your carry-on bags are packed light. Don’t bring oversized bags with you on the bus that are cumbersome and end up in the way. Make sure you can fit your bag in the overhead compartment or under your seat comfortably.