Holiday Travel Tips
‘Tis the season of travel! With so many people hitting the road in the coming weeks we’ve decided to share a few tips to help you prep for your trips this holiday season.
- Get a head start and print your ticket at home. Printing your ticket before arriving at the station will save time and prevent you from having to wait in line at Will Call. Although you print your ticket online, you still have to present a paper ticket to board the bus. Make sure to have your ID when you board the bus as well.
- Check the status of your bus with BusTracker before you head to the terminal. BusTracker will give real-time updates on your bus from your computer or mobile device. See how BusTracker will change how you travel here, or check out it out at Bustracker.Greyhound.com.
- Remember that tickets are date and time specific. This means you must travel on the schedule that you picked when you booked your tickets and this keeps us from overbooking the bus. If you booked an Economy fare and want to change your departure time, you can have your ticket reboked for a $20 fee. If you booked an Economy Extra or Flexible fare, you have a few more options allowing you to make changes last minute. If you forgot which ticket you booked, just ask (or tweet) and we’ll be happy to look it up for you.
- If you’re driving to the station, reserve your parking spot before you leave the house. We’ve teamed up with Parking Panda just in time for the holidays this year so you can reserve a parking spot near the terminal. You can learn all about this here.
- Arrive at least an hour before your bus is scheduled to leave. Getting to the station early gives you plenty of time tag and check your bags and beat the rush during this extremely busy time of year. Just in case you’ve got time to spare before lining up to board your bus, we’ve got free Wi-Fi in our stations and on our buses so you won’t have to eat up your data passing the time.
- Keep essential items on the bus with you. Instead of putting important items in the luggage you check (things like medications, important documents, the family heirlooms or the kids’ favorite toys) keep it with your carry-on bag. Just in case your checked bags get delayed please make sure to properly tag your bags both inside and out with your most recent contact information so we can get your things back to you as quickly as possible.
- Check for weather delays. Sometimes the weather can be unpredictable, so customers should check to see if we’ve posted any service alerts on Greyhound.com or give us a call to see if there are weather delays before leaving for the station.
- Bring a small travel pillow so you can rest comfortably.
- Bring snacks and water.Whether you’re traveling 4 hours or 14 hours, you’re likely to get hungry and staying hydrated is a necessity.
- You can use our Pay with Cash option. You can reserve your trip online, visit a participating retailer (7-Eleven or Ace Cash Express) and pay with cash to finish booking your tickets. This is a great option if you don’t have a credit card.
- Make sure your carry-on bags are packed light. Over-sized bags end up in the way and are a pain to carry up and down the aisles of the bus. Pack lightly and make sure you can fit your bag in the overhead compartment or under your seat comfortably.
- Schedule your trip early. The earlier you book your ticket, the better. You can save up to 50 percent off your tickets when you book early and online.
And now it’s over to you! What travel tips would you give your fellow travelers?