We love that helping others is something that will always be in style. Throughout the year, Greyhound employees take part in the Helping Hound program to invest their time in the communities they call home. Whether they’re cleaning up a stretch of highway or serving lunch at a soup kitchen, our employees see the benefits of giving back to their communities.
Here are a few ideas and ways you can get involved at home:
- If you’re in the mood to serve others a meal, you can head over to http://www.foodpantries.org/ and find a local food pantry in your area. Instructions on how to volunteer or make donations are listed for each location. If you’re not able to serve lunch at a soup kitchen, we find that hosting a canned food drive is another great way to give back. Canned food, personal hygiene products and gently worn clothes can go a long way to help others.
- If you’ve got trash bags handy and a free afternoon, head out to a local park and pick up litter. But before just heading out to a park, be sure to check with your local city to see what steps you need to take in order to do this. Anyone jogging, playing on the swing set or walking their dog will appreciate what you’ve done.
- Remember the box tops? You can still collect box tops for local schools! Collect the box tops off items you might already buy then drop them off at a participating school so they can redeem them for school supplies. Check out this site for more information: http://www.boxtops4education.com/.
- You can take some time and write a letter to a soldier to thank them for their service: http://www.amillionthanks.org/ and http://www.operationgratitude.com/.
- Sit at your computer, answer questions and give rice for free – really, it’s that simple. You can pick your category and for every correctly answered question, Freerice will donate 10 grains to the World Food Programme.
- So giving back while staying active is your thing? Then you should join us to Step Out and Walk to Stop Diabetes or take part of the Heart Walk. Greyhound employees participate in these walks plus many more throughout the year and it gives us another chance to stay active while also making a difference.
Giving time to make the community a little better doesn’t have to be something you do once a year. Join the fun and tell us your favorite way to pay it forward in your community.