City of the Month: Dallas
Howdy, yíall! Did you know that Greyhoundís headquarters is located in Dallas? This year, weíre celebrating 25 years in our North Texas home! So to mark the occasion, weíve decided to spotlight our hometown, also known as the Big D, as our first City of the Month. If you plan on stopping in Dallas sometime soon or already live here, weíve included a few must-see and must-dos below.
For the art lover:
- Founded in 1903, the Dallas Museum of Art will not disappoint. From African to Contemporary art, this appeals to all art senses.† Have lunch at The Cafť or enjoy live jazz concerts every Thursday evening.
- If you enjoy art and the outdoors, we encourage you to participate in Public ArtWalk Dallas. Itís all about living healthy, while promoting art downtown. Your trainer will be proud!
For the sporty traveler:
- Havenít seen the Dallas Cowboys stadium yet? Ahhh Ė itís definitely a sight to see! To top it off, you donít have to go to a game to receive a tour. Check out how to schedule your own special tour here. On another note, letís go Cowboys!
- Interested in catching a baseball game before the season is over? Check out the Texas Rangers schedule here!
- If youíre in downtown Dallas, you should definitely make your way over to a Dallas Stars game! Opening night for the hometown hockey team is right around the corner: October 16.
- Lastly, grab your blue and white noise makers, and cheer on the Dallas Mavericks this coming up season!
For the family road trip-pers:
- With over 2,000 animals, the Dallas Zoo is a MUST if you plan on being in the area with the family. Make sure to bring your hat, sun screen and drink a lot of water Ė Dallas in the summer is nothing to play with.
- If youíre in the mood for a high-impact show with something to fill your stomach, head on over to Medieval Times. This is what we like to call all-age fun!
We wanted to do a section on food, but seriously, there are SOOOO many great food spots. From tapas to seafood, your taste buds will be very happy. Personally, if youíre looking for reviews, I suggest checking out, D Magazine – it provides a look at the top places to try out when youíre in D-Town!
And speaking of food, did you know that some of the worldís best fried foodstuffs will be featured at our annual Texas State Fair, Sept. 28-Oct. 21? Ride the rides, try the fried guacamole, view countless exhibits, shows and concerts, or test your throwing arm at the Midway. Thereís no shortage of things to do, so let the Fairís official ambassador, Big Tex, be your guide.
There are so many things to do and see in Dallas. Iíve been here for a little over year, and feel as if Iíve barely scratched the surface. What are your favorite things to do in Dallas?
*By the way, if you want us to highlight a certain city OR if you know of cool spots in a city, donít be afraid to leave your suggestion in our comment box. Though our buses have traveled all over North America, it doesnít mean that the writers of this blog have.
Downtown Dallas skyline image courtesy of the Dallas Convention & Visitors Bureau